CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Third Child

Without realizing it...my third child has been growing up without the same learning experiences as my first two. I didn't fully realize this until I was reading Natasha's journal (I got her permission) and one of her entries months ago stated "I am bored all the time. The only time I'm not bored is when I am at school, when I have a friend over, or when I'm at a friends house."

Ouch.

That entry was a big wake up call for me! This particular child has always played quietly by herself...without a single complaint. I recognize that she does like to be on her own and likely DOES need that in her life...but because she was always playing on her own happily I would NEVER interrupt her to come help me with things. Therefore...she has had VERY LITTLE one on one time with me doing productive things...like cooking. So I've decided to specifically call her out of her room and offer her the opportunity to do something with me more often.

The day after I made this decision, I saw Natasha starting to go into her room and close the door. I spontaneously said "Natasha...do you want to make cookies with me?" (I wasn't even planning on it beforehand!) And do you know what she did? She got a HUGE grin on her face, said YES enthusiastically and bounded up the stairs to me.

The thing that keeps going through my mind is, I can't believe I almost missed it. I almost missed seeing this deficit in my daughter's life. Thank heavens for honest journal entries!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment