CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Blog is Born

A few days ago I was watching a Daily Talk Show (which I had never watched before) and they were having a "Family Day" where they feature tips on various aspects of raising kids. Of course I stayed on the channel to glean what interesting ideas they could give me. The topic they were just starting was regarding table manners and how as parents we often forget that it is our duty to teach our children table manners. I admit, this is NOT a strong area for me. I don't think I've raised animals at the table...but I do recognize I have not spent time teaching manners. And admittedly, when the featured guest talked about how distressing it is for her when she sees people cutting food with a fork instead of a knife, I thought "oops".

But that is beside the point. When the guest first started talking about young kids at the table, the host said "When can we expect children to sit at the table? Because for the first couple of years you are chasing them around trying to get them to eat" as she imitated chasing a child with a bowl in her hand and trying to feed them.

Huh?

Seriously?

People actually do that?

Oh wait! They do and I got to witness it! One day while living in Toronto, when Laura was a toddler, I took her to the park. I was completely astounded when I witnessed a grandmother bring her granddaughter to the park...who was at least 3 years old...and proceed to follow her around with a bowl of oatmeal, and feed her while she played. Yes, you read that correctly. The parent figure followed the child around feeding her OATMEAL as she played on the playground.

This entire scenario has been going through my head for days now...and I just had to tell SOMEBODY...and as a result...this blog was born! And now you are stuck reading the meanderings of my mind and the advice that follows. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

So...do I think it is possible for very young children to sit at a table? Yes...yes I do! It's called a high chair! Ha ha ha. After the high chair...a booster seat with straps! And after that...parental expectation. And one final note: Do I think a child needs to stay at the table the entire time the parents are at the table? No. But I do think they need to stay until they are done. Unless of course they have to go to the bathroom.

3 comments:

  1. Crazy story! To my knowledge, I have never EVER followed a child around to feed them, and think that doing that is ridiculous. I also grew up with a mom who always said that she thought it was proper for parents to feed their children until they could do it neatly themselves. There's certainly less cringing at the sight of a child with spaghetti in their hair and all over their clothes that way.

    Are my children the epitome of manners at the table? Nope. Hence the need for the boot box, when a gaseous expulsion comes out of either end while we're eating. I think I'm the only one who's never gone there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa,
    This is very cute. I agree with what you have said. Though I am guilty of not expecting better table manners at my house.

    And here is my latest meandering parenting thought. As we approached parent teacher interviews with our son number six our comment to the teacher was "It's not that we are bad parents, we are just tired!" HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha

    Julie: I am frightened to know how long it would take for one of my girls to end up on your boot box! You motivate me to improve my expectations at the dinner table.

    Joanna: Your last statement made me laugh right out loud!

    ReplyDelete